Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Washing your diapers...

You will need to prep your soakers before using them. The more you wash them, the more they will hold. To reach full absorbancy, they need to be washed 8 times. You can start using them after 1-2 washes.

So, I've tried many of the laundry soaps out there to get my daughters diapers smelling clean and fresh and I've finally found one! It is a homemade laundry soap and it works like a charm. I was very
skeptical at first, but was a true believer after just one wash! My husband is just glad that she doesn't smell like ammonia any more. We have very hard water and have a water softener, so this is what has worked for us:

1 cup washing soda (not baking soda)
1 cup borax
1/2 cup oxi clean
Mix all of the powders together and use 1-2T per load. That's it!

I found everything in the laundry isle at the grocery store. I used the generic brand of oxi clean and it works great! My diapers no longer stink and the soap build up is gone.

Washing steps:
Pre rinse on cold
Wash on warm
Wash on hot with extra rinse
Hang covers up to dry and throw the soakers and doublers in the dryer.

This is the best way I have found to get the microfiber clean. Microfiber is extremely absorbent so it is hard to get them clean. It's a trade off for trimmer diapers, but I need my daughters pants to fit over her diapers. If you are having a problem with the smell not coming out, either hang them outside to dry in the sun or I've heard that Bac Out is a great product to use.
If you have problems, let me know and I'll help you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe for the laundry detergent! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also found that extra stinky diapers smell clean if I fill the washer before I go bed and soak the diapers overnight with 1/2c vinegar in the water. I then wash the 2 cycles like normal when I wake up.

    ReplyDelete